Monday, May 3, 2010

EAT MY WORDS

I come from a family of strong-willed (and some may say opinionated) women.  Before we had kids my husband and I had an arsenal of phrases like:


  • I will never let my kids ride in those RIDICULOUSLY large shopping carts that bump into everything and everyone.
  • I will never let my child walk out of the house looking like that.  I will not let them decide what they are wearing when they are 3!
  • I will never spank my child.
  • I will not take my children to restaurants - restaurants are not for children.
  • I won't let my children rule my life ~ we'll still have a social life beyond kids
  • I'm not going to let myself go just because I have kids.
Oh oh oh how I have head to eat those words.  The bigger the shopping cart, the happier they are.  Don't forget to pick up the free balloons that they can bat at each other, you and innocent passers.  

And for clothes....who cares if they look like a fool if it avoids a fight in the morning.  If I can't manage to get myself dressed 98% of the time, it should be no surprise that my 4 yr old is wearing stripped stained pants with a top that doesn't match and hair falling in her eyes.  

Not to mention we have had to leave a restaurant or two because it seemed like they could handle the 45 minute outing.  We now know that restaurants with common outdoor patios, particularly with fountains, are perfect choices.  

Social life?  What is that?  Is that when Friday nights were something to look forward to for entirely different reasons?   Now I just want to go to bed by nine.  Having friends over for dinner has moved beyond a select menu inspired by Williams-Sonoma's best cookbooks for whatever we can manage to pull together with two toddlers pulling on our legs the entire time we cook.  I've given up on setting the table, linen napkins, a custom ipod playlist for the evening and coffee after dinner.  I left my hostess responsibilities in my 20's.

As for letting myself go...wait for tomorrow's blog.

All I can say is that I have a stomach ache from all of the words I have had to eat since I became a mother but I wouldn't change a minute of it.  I'm sorry for the moms I may have offended along the way in my total naivety, but I'm sure many have been through the same all you can eat buffet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio