Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Which Mom are you?

When my daughter was only a few months old, I somehow managed to escape on a Saturday morning for coffee with a fellow mother and friend.  I'm sure we were talking about the woes of balancing work and family and husbands that worked ridiculously long hours.  


I looked up as a BMW suv pulled into the parking lot and watched a woman step out of her vehicle.  She looked FABULOUS! Pressed capris, cute top, Chanel sunglasses, Coach bag and perfectly highlighted hair pulled back in the perfect low ponytail.  I personally have never been able to make a low ponytail look like a fashion statement of simple beauty.  


She opened the back door and the image of perfection multiplied.  Out walked 4 yr old boy in khaki shorts with a little polo shirt.  He was followed by a little sister in a picture perfect sundress.


I looked at my friend and joked "I always wanted to be that mom".


As if on cue, in rolls a mini-van.


The mom steps out of the car in time to see the back doors sliding open and sippy cups and garbage falling onto the ground. She is wearing yoga pants and a t-shirt she has probably owned for more than 10 years.  Her low ponytail does not emanate beauty and simplicity as much as it does ~ "forget taking care of me or we will never get out of this house".


She also is followed out by two small children.  Hers, however, are celebrating pajama day and do not like to have their hair brushed.


My friend and I both busted out laughing ~ "Instead, I'm that mom".


I still laugh when I think about the vision of the mom I thought I would be ~ which mom did you think you would be?



2 comments:

thenextmartha said...

I don't think I could ever fit the mold of the first mom but I am the second mom. I'm not overly proud of the cups and napkins flying out the door. Often as I open the door it becomes an event to "chase that napkin" as I don't need to litter too. I would love to fall somewhere in the middle. I'll start tomorrow with buying a new car.

Tracy said...

I am the minivan mom!!! I wish I was the "other"kind of mom, but that wouldn't be any fun!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio